Some of Colorado’s largest COVID-19 outbreaks appear to be slowing down
Several of Colorado’s largest COVID-19 outbreaks could be winding down, with no new cases reported in the last week, though state officials cautioned it takes longer to be certain the virus isn’t spreading anymore.
No new cases were found at the Sterling Correctional Facility since last Wednesday, according to the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment’s weekly outbreak report. A total of 605 coronavirus cases and three deaths have linked to the prison, making it the largest outbreak site since the state began tracking in April.
The state health department considers an outbreak as over when 28 days have passed with no new cases tied to a location or event. The Sterling prison added two cases between July 22 and 29, meaning it will take several weeks with no new cases before its outbreak is resolved.
The largest current outbreaks in Colorado, behind the Sterling prison, are:
- Van Cise-Simonet Detention Center, Denver: 487 cases, no deaths (20 new cases since last week)
- JBS meatpacking plant, Greeley: 291 cases, six deaths (four new cases)
- Buena Vista Correctional Complex: 202 cases, no deaths (10 new cases)
- Cherry Creek Nursing Center, Aurora: 161 cases, 34 deaths (one new case)
- Pikes Peak Center, Colorado Springs: 146 cases, 26 deaths (no new cases)
- Steven Roberts Original Desserts, Aurora: 133 cases, one death (no new cases)
- People experiencing homelessness, Denver: 132 cases, no deaths (four new cases)
- Jefferson County Detention Facility, Golden: 96 cases, one death (no new cases)
- Laurel Manor Care Center, Colorado Springs: 86 cases, 14 deaths (no new cases)
Laurel Manor is the closest to ending its outbreak, having gone three weeks without reporting new cases.
The state reported 25 new outbreaks since last Wednesday, which is in line with recent weeks. The new locations included five restaurants, four residential health facilities, two prisons, two churches and Community Alternatives of El Paso County, a jail and reentry facility.
The new outbreaks with the largest numbers of cases were:
- The Haven assisted living, Hayden: 11 cases, one death
- Centennial Correctional Facility, Cañon City: six cases, no deaths
- Mountain Organic Landscaping, Avon: five cases, no deaths
- The Heights Church, Denver: five cases, no deaths
- Unspecified McDonald’s location, Denver: five cases, no deaths
The totals include both confirmed and probable cases.
To view the full list of outbreaks, visit covid19.colorado.gov/data/outbreak-data.
Subscribe to bi-weekly newsletter to get health news sent straight to your inbox.
Source: Read Full Article